burger document facebook google-plus info mail mailing-list scales speech-bubbles telephone telephone2 twitter vcard youtube
Make a Payment

GN Law Media: Is your ex-partner not letting you have access to your children?

When a couple decide to separate, unfortunately the children can become caught in the crossfire. One parent could try and prevent the other from seeing the children for an indefinite period of time, or greatly reduce the time that they usually spend with the children. This can make an already fraught situation even more difficult, especially for the children.

What can you do if this has happened to you? First, try to resolve the situation with the other parent directly and not involve courts or solicitors. If your ex-partner is refusing to talk to you about this then you will need to try something else.

Second, try mediation. You and your ex-partner will sit with a mediator to try and resolve your dispute. You can sit in the same room with the mediator, or in separate rooms and the mediator can go between you. The mediator can help you to reach an agreement together and is independent, meaning they are not acting for either of you. 

If mediation is also unsuccessful, then you may need to get in touch with a solicitor. A solicitor can help you to make an application to court in order to gain contact with your children. Applications to court should be treated as a last resort. If you are in this situation, or if you are seeking any other advice in relation to children matters, please get in touch with us at GN Law on 020 8492 2290, or via email at help@gnlaw.co.uk. All information provided by you is strictly confidential. It is possible that you might be entitled to legal aid, and one of our solicitors can discuss this with you over the telephone.

Please also read our attached ‘Guide to Private Children’ document, that contains useful information in relation to children cases.

Peter Bushell, Solicitor

Posted on Wednesday, 26th August 2020